Flight Simulator fans rejoice, the new FS Global Ultimate Series has been completed. "The Americas" and "Europe/Africa" are shipping now and the last part of "Asia/Oceania" are shipping March 24th. For those unfamiliar, FS Global is a height map mesh for the world. Imagine the landscape as a grid and at every grid point, the ground gets pulled up or pushed down from sea level to the height of the ground at that location, forming a more accurate height model of the surface of the Earth, adding many levels of detail to the ground. It literally adds an immense amount of depth and realism to Flight Simulator.
Some of the overall key features of the new release include:
- Mesh resolution up to 5 meters.
- Includes AFM for FS2004 and FSX
- Directly supports Microsoft Flight Simulator and Martin Prepar3D
- New installer (4x faster)
- New installer supports FSG 2010 and previous versions in Microsoft Flight Simulator
- New install supports FSG 2010 and previous Ultimate versions in Prepar3D.
Some of the improvements with the Americas:
- SRTM to NED/CDED
- Large Areas rendered in LOD12 (Grand Canyon, all significant mountain ranges etc)
- Local Areas LOD14 (limited due to data size)
- Mexico at LOD10 (looks like LOD11)
- Canada at LOD11 (dramatic difference to default, particularly north 60 degrees)
The Americas comes on 6 double-layer DVDs with FSX and FS2004 in the box. FS 2004 can draw only LODs up to 13 when it is tweaked according to the manual. Canada has a FS2004 version as well.
Registered members of fsim.net can get a rebate on the preorder.
There is also a bundle of all 3 FS Global Ultimate add-ons, which covers every square mile of Earth at a special price.
Use this QR code in a QR reader application on mobile to open quickly on a mobile device